Thursday, July 26, 2012

Week 5 at RSI

This week there was not too much of interest to report on. I worked on some projects started last week with a few clients in my first few days. On Thursday, I taught a lesson to the advanced art class again that went VERY well. I decided to teach the class how to create a beach landscape using oil pastels. We created an ocean surrounded by a sandy white beach.  I gave each artist the freedom to create their shoreline in any shape they want. When I showed them how to shade the water and color the shore, I prompted the group with the question: What kind of things do you see at the beach? This question allowed the group members to use their own imagination and creativity to make their landscape their own. Some artists put palm trees on their beach. Others drew beach towels, tiki bars, boats, surfers, fishermen, and sharks in their landscape. Each piece went from a standard landscape, to an exciting and colorful scene. When I prompt the class to add their own details to their landscape, each piece takes on the artist's personality. This exercise allowed the group members to let loose and have a little fun with their art. The group spend time laughing and talking about what they see at the beach and showing each other how they drew different items. I look forward to doing more projects like this with the advanced class for the remainder of my internship!

No comments:

Post a Comment