Sunday, June 24, 2012

Introductions: Getting to Know Mary Jamieson and Riverside Industries Inc.

Hello Everyone!

My name is Mary Jamieson and I am a senior Art Therapy major at Lesley University. This is my final internship and class at Lesley. I am very excited for a brand new experience with a new population. Throughout my internship experiences, I wanted to be able to challenge myself by stepping outside of my comfort zones and work with a variety of different clients. I have made it a goal of mine to bring the healing nature of art to my internships so clients may explore creative ways of expression.  I look forward to my experience this summer, as well as reflecting on my past experiences, personal growth, and hopes for the future in my senior integrative paper.

My internship for the summer is located in the small town of Easthampton, MA. Riverside Industries Inc. is a work site that empowers individuals with developmental disabilities to attain the jobs they want, while receiving therapeutic care and support. The mission of Riverside Industries states:

Riverside Industries Inc. Exists: to serve people with perceived limitations. Encourages: those it serves to be participating members of their communities, sharing the privileges and obligations of their fellow citizens. Enables: people to choose to work to get the jobs they want with the assistance they need. Ensures: that people maximize their abilities through therapeutic options. Educates: people to take control over the things in their lives that they value. Enlightens the community about the abilities and challenges of the people we serve and asks for its philanthropic support.

Within Riverside Industries I am an intern at Riverside Arts, an art program for the workers of Riverside Industries . I was drawn to Riverside Arts initially because my older sister had been one of the artist here before she became ill. She had always talked about the art program and how great it would be if I could intern there. When I thought about potential sites, Riverside Arts stood out because I realized it would help me learn new techniques and ways to adapt art making for individuals with physical limitations. Riverside Arts has an additional mission statement:

WE BELIEVE Every individual has the potential to flourish through the creative process. Participating in the arts gives individuals a sense of purpose, self-empowerment, and community. Exhibitions of work are opportunities to share these accomplishments thereby fostering awareness in the broader community. 

As an intern at Riverside Arts, I assist the artists in developing new ideas, continuing to shape their work, and offering support to the artists as they create. In the dayhab classes, I might have to give more one-on-one attention to artists whose physical limitations require additional assistance. Before classes, I help set up and prep and at the end of classes I help clean up supplies and walk artists back to their work spaces. I also assist in the framing and matting of art pieces for upcoming art shows. I intern at Riverside Arts four days a week, Monday through Thursday.

Drawing from my first week at RSI Arts.
I look forward to getting to know all of the artists at Riverside Arts and watching their creative process as they create beautiful works of art! By the end of the summer, I hope to have improved my skills in working with individuals with developmental disabilities in a creative setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment